Happy National Service Dog Month! This month we celebrate the pooches who live to serve. Here are five things you may not know about these service stars.
- Around 20,000 dogs work as assistance animals in the United States, according to the American Humane Society—more if you add therapy and emotional support dogs.
- The first guide dog school opened in 1916 to train canines to care for World War I veterans.
- They’re cute, but don’t ask them to shake. These dogs are workers, not pets.
- You can tell manyservice dogs by their vest, but there is no requirement to wear identifying garb.
- Retrievers are a popular service animal because they love to fetch.
(scroll to keep reading)